Hennessy Portrait Prize 2014 – National Gallery of Ireland
An exhibition of the 12 finalists chosen for the Hennessy Portrait Prize 2014 will open in the National Gallery of Ireland on Saturday 8th November.
The 12 finalists were selected from over 400 entries by a panel of judges, comprising Dr Declan Long (NCAD), Cristín Leach Hughes (The Sunday Times), Janet McLean (NGI), and Donald Teskey RHA, and chaired by the Director of the National Gallery of Ireland, Sean Rainbird.
Admission is free.
On Tuesday, 11 November, one artist will be announced as the winner of the Hennessy Portrait Prize 2014 and will receive a prize of €15,000. The winning artist will also be awarded a commission worth €5,000 to produce a portrait for inclusion in the National Portrait Collection.
The 12 finalists are:
- John Beattie from Co Donegal; An Artist, the Studio and All the Rest… (Part 1), 2014, HD colour video with audio.
- Comhghall Casey from Omagh, Co. Tyrone; Self-portrait, 2013, oil on canvas 40 x 30 cm.
- Gavan McCullough from Co. Meath; This, 2014, oil on canvas 70 x 60 cm.
- Cian McLoughlin from Dublin; Tronie, 2013, oil on canvas 40.6 x 30.5 com.
- Nick Miller from London, but resident in Ireland for many years, now based in Sligo. Last Sitting, Portrait of Barrie Cooke,2013, oil on linen 61 x 56 cm.
- Hugh O’Conor from Dublin; Beckah, Dublin Airport, 2013, photograph (film, B&W 120) on liquid acrylic, 101.6 x 101.6 cm.
- Geraldine O'Neill from Dublin; Is feidir le cat Schrödinger an dá thrá a fhreastal, 2014, oil on canvas, 200 x 210 cm.
- Mandy O'Neill from Dublin; Cait, 2014, photographic print, 76.2 x 76.2 cm.
- Helen O'Sullivan-Tyrrell from Bray, Co. Wicklow; The Convalescent, 2014, oil on canvas 40 x 50 cm.
- Erin Quinn originally from Canada, now permanent resident in Ireland. Adam (from the series 'Breaking Point'), 2013,photograph, archival pigment on fine art paper, 128 x 90 cm. Una Sealy from Dublin; Hibiscus Blues (Portrait of Douglas), 2014, oil on canvas 120 x 100 cm.
- Saoirse Wall living and working between Dublin and Mayo; Gesture 2, 2014, HD video.
An illustrated catalogue of the 12 exhibits with an introductory essay by curators, Anne Hodge and Dr Brendan Rooney, and commentary by the artists on each of their portraits, is available from the National Gallery Shop (€5).