Christmas Lights in October? WTF!!
Yes you are right. Your eyes have not fooled you. The rumours are true! And it’s not even Halloween yet.
We at DublinTown have started preparations for #DublinAtChristmas 2017 and as part of that process we have begun the process of installing the Christmas lights for this year. But please note, they are going up but ARE NOT going on!
Why so early you ask? Here are two main reasons:
- Volume – We light up over 30 streets in the city centre!
- Testing – Every single light and fixture is tested to make sure it is ready to go come the official lighting ceremonies
Christmas isn’t coming early but DublinTown are busy making sure Dublin looks magical for all to enjoy in time for the official lighting ceremony in November DublinTown is working in partnership with Dublin City Council on an extravagant event to turn the lights on across the city on Sunday, November 19th.
Over the next 4 weeks the busy DublinTown team will hang and individually test over 1,000,000 lightbulbs and fixtures. With 30 streets to decorate and stretching across 4.5 kilometres of Dublin’s city centre, it takes a DublinTown team of 20 people, working throughout the night, over 200 hours to completely erect the lights over the city for the festive season.
DUBLINTOWN – FESTIVE LIGHTS – FACTS AND FIGURES:
- 30 streets in Dublin will be decorated with Christmas lights, stretching over 4.5 kilometres
- It takes 20 people working through the night, over 4 weeks and 200 hours to completely erect all the lights
- Each and every single bulb and fixture will be tested by the DublinTown team
- The lights will be illuminated for over 1,000 hours from November 19th – January 7th
- There are 47,350 individual light bulbs on Grafton Street alone
- There are over 1,000,000 individual light bulbs hung across the city
- 20 Dublin City Trees will be decorated with lights across Parnell Street and Liffey Street
- Over 10,000 light bulbs will decorate 2 trees on Liffey Street
- 160 crossovers and 26 wall mounts will be used
- Over 150,000 light bulbs will adorn the 3 spectacular light curtains on on Wicklow Street, Andrew Street and Johnson Court
- 25 million people will walk under the Christmas Lights in Dublin City Centre this year alone
- 1 spectacular lighting ceremony event will take place in November 19th to light up the entire city with details being announced soon.
The full programme for DublinatChristmas.ie will be announced in early November including upcoming events, special offers, family fun and much more.
Bare with us, as this takes a lot of time to prepare for but you can be confident this year’s Christmas lights are one’s not to be missed! For all you need to know about Christmas in #DublinTown, keep an eye on DublinAtChristmas.ie and @DublinTown on twitter and make sure to use #DublinAtChristmas on social media!